Cousins call for freedom as they set themselves on fire

27th October 2012

Two young Tibetan cousins set fire to themselves in a township protest north of Lhasa this Thursday 25 October. Tsepo, 20, died on the way to hospital, and Tenzin, 25 was taken away by government officials; his wellbeing and whereabouts are unknown. Both were monks at Bankar Monastery.

Calls for independence

Tsepo and Tenzin called out for independence for Tibet, for all Tibetans to unite as brothers and sisters, and for the return of the Dalai Lama to Tibet as they set themselves alight. The protest took place near a government building in their home village of Nagrog Thampa.

Frightened to talk

Chinese state security are out in large numbers in the area, internet and telephone communication systems are often blocked and, when they are working Tibetans are afraid to talk about what is happening because they fear that their communications are being monitored by the government.

Escalation of protests

Elsewhere a second Tibetan set himself on fire in Sangchu County yesterday. Tsewang Kyab died at the scene. He became the fifth person to set themselves on fire in Sangchu County this week after Lhamo Tseten's protest earlier the same day. There have been seven self-immolations across a wide area of Tibet this week, the highest number in one week since these fiery protests began in 2011. Around 60 Tibetans have now set themselves on fire in protest against the Chinese occupation of their country. Read the full list.

Take action for Tibet

Four monks disappeared from the city of Tridu (also known as Chengdu) in January. It is believed they were detained by Chinese forces. We have grave concerns for their wellbeing. Send an email on behalf of the Drango Four. Intercontinental Hotels want to build and operate a huge new resort in Lhasa, Tibet. This tells the world that the situation in Tibet is normal... it isn't. Email Intercontinental and ask them to get out of Tibet. Find out other ways to take action